Faking Depth

The introduction of gray to the BW palette conjures up a feeling of depth (while totally playing tricks on your eyes!). 
My experiment was to take 1 large black square, 1 large gray square, 1 small black square and 1 small gray square and moving them around a large white square. I created a basic composition with these squares :
Left : The squares of colours used for the experiment. Right : The basic composition that was the starting point.

So now, I started moving the squares around to see what happened. To my amusement, just by moving the larger squares (and not touching the smaller ones) I was able to create a few compositions where it seemed like I had moved all 4 squares (while I had moved only 2).
I really liked the one on the extreme RHS as it gives a really good feeling of depth. Also, I think, it was the one where one is least likely to believe that the small squares from the original composition were not touched.

No comments:

Post a Comment