Experi-paintings

Broadway Boogie Woogie - Mondrian
Inspired by the paintings of Mondrian, I decided to do some experi-paintings of my own. 
Mondrian's paintings are mainly compositions of lines, shapes and colours. It is hard to see his inspirations coming from real life, though I daresay most of them are. One painting that is known to be inspired by real life is the Broadway Boogie Woogie. This painting is Mondrian's interpretation of the city grid of Manhattan and the boogie woogie music to which he liked to dance. 

I decided to take some photographs of London and try and capture the essence of those images using only lines, circles and squares. Here are some of the results.

What I liked about these experiments is that even without the reference of the image, the result is makes an interesting composition. I do feel that even devoid of the colours and drastically simplified, the compositions do capture the essence of the photograhs. The next step would be, possibly, to add some colour. Will leave that for another sunny day :-)

4 comments:

  1. Really nice experiments Roopa. I think you should have an 'About' blog page to say who you are and what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Tony. Point noted and implemented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And we thought it was khidki and darwaza! brill again Roops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and I read that as 'khichidi'! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete